Saturday, January 28, 2012

An Interesting Road

I moved to D.C. from Denver by way of Los Angeles. It's definitely been an interesting road.

But, I am really overwhelmed here by the amount of people who are struggling due to homelessness. Working in the Nation's Capitol, I'm sure that I have passed by a Senator or Congressman or Congresswoman who has seen the same people I have who are struggling. I'll admit, I walk pass 'them' and try not to make eye contact. But, I've also made eye contact, for example, when a woman asked me for some lotion and body wash... I bought it for her, but it made me wonder, does anyone make eye contact? Real, legit, eye contact. The kind of eye contact that says: I want to help you, what can I do for you today? Even if you already passed three people who are asking for something. Do our nation's leaders make eye contact?

The divide among those who have and those who, kinda have something, but not enough to live off the streets is a cry to attention. I'd imagine that there is no bill headed to Congress that says how can we help the people who need our help the most. The most are those who lost their home and are on the streets or those who have been on the streets for years.

This situation is not new. I'm not the first person to think about this nor the last, but how can one not think about it?

When is capitalism not King?

Could the people who say it isn't be the so called 'one percent'?

Anyway, I have to catch a train, so for now I'll digress.

Oh yeah, BTW, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment